Saturday, May 20, 2006

high school part two

I met up with some old friends from high school this week, which is funny because they weren't actually my friends in high school, since I didn't really have more than a couple of friends at my high school and I loathed it so much that I left my senior year for a community college program. When they found me on thefacebook, I genuinely wanted to meet up.
It's cool to meet up with people you used to see every day 6 years ago, because they're usually the same, but older and funnier.
I did remember Igor Belogolovsky (the ultimate first-and-last-name name) as being the only one in our Physics Honors class as cynical as I was, but I didn't remember him being quite so funny - I definitely want to be friends with this guy.
And Kasey, my dance-team buddy for the month I was on the team before I quit in a panic attack, has never been more fun or genuine.
(sidebar: I'd been wondering where all of the twentysomethings in the City are when I go out during the week and see only thirtysomethings. After hanging out with Kasey I now know - they're all at kickball afterparties in the Haight, screaming along to "Livin' on a Prayer,' playing some kind of game called flip-cups and generally carousing at Frat-party decibels)
Other than the blatantly obvious fact that good people were under my nose and I needed to get over myself in high school, I think this also teaches me that maybe that feeling that things were going to be better once I got older wasn't media-induced pre-target market envy, but actually right on. I've always had a fairly good feeling about my coming twenties and thirties, and honestly, even my fourties. So if that whole planetary armageddon doesn't happen in the next decade like I've always thought it would, maybe I'm looking at a pretty great 3 decades coming up.
Doesn't it just make you feel like they should invent something to allow you to opt-out of adolescence, or at least a year or two of it? I'd have opted out of 14 and 15 in a flash. And I'm still not convinced that things had to be so bad for them to be so good now.
Though that's probably because I'm resistant to any kind of fate-narrative theory that precludes "my life is a movie" kind of thinking.

I'm supposed to be meeting up today with the Berkeley graduate student, who finally called me on Thursday night. He invited me to a museum and I told him I had reserved seats to see Amos Oz speak and he was welcome to be my plus-one. But it's already 2:00 and I haven't heard from him yet. What gives?

No comments: