Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What a tease:

My boss e-mailed me last night to inform me that I might be coming with on the Seattle business trip to court a prospective client. I adore Seattle, and plus, I've never been on a business trip before. I was already plotting whether I could meet my friend there for a drink, mentally picking out my wardrobe and thinking about what great novel material it would be when I got the e-mail saying they wouldn't be needing my help after all, and they would get by just fine with the account manager I work with.
Not only that, my work highlight of the week was going to be lunch that day with the Role Playing Game people in the City. Now that's been postponed. I was seriously looking forward to the priceless material that visit would yield. When we met them at the client appreciation dinner, it turned out that they are so into this Online Role Playing Game that they not only play it all day at work but they then go home and play it all night.
One of my coworkers sat next to them at dinner and told me that the entire conversation was unclear as to whether they were referring to real life or the role playing game. Things were said like,
"I'm remodelling my house tonight."
"Oh, really?"
"Yeah, but I still need 200 land-units."
"Oh, I sold an evening gown for some yesterday. You could buy some off me for labor-units" (or something)
How postmodern...definitely going to be a chapter in my novel.
So now my highlight of the week is going to be taking my new bicycle for a test spin after work tonight and hoping not to die.
I finally played with the nozzle enough to get air in the front tire last night, and I took steel wool to the rusty handlebars. I was sure it was circa-1970s, but my roommate's boyfriend the bike superstar said he thinks it's easily 1950s-era, which makes my bike old enough to be your bike's grandfather.
Let's just hope the brakes don't explode on my all-flat ride down to the Mission.

2 comments:

Emily said...

So, this is actually what my family is like... all the time.

Emily said...

So, this is actually what my family is like... all the time.