Wednesday, May 10, 2006

On nerdiness in general

I felt like I was in Junior High School for most of the day in anticipation of an actual human interaction with my caltrain crush. Interactions with strangers I stare at are rare, especially considering the inverse rate of how long I have stared at them without any interaction to how much social interaction will ever occur.
I arrived early and saw him talking to his friend. I surveyed my options: a. stand nearby and pretend not to see him, b. stand nearby and smile and wait for him to come up to me or c. come up to him and his friend, I opted to instead hide on the other side of the bushes and check my cell phone messages and generally pretend to be busy with my handheld device. I was able to maintain this for as long as 6 minutes before the train arrived. He saw me approaching the door and came up to me, his friend had just departed - possibly in response to the universal male game signal.
He was very friendly, so I was able to suppress some of my cardiac alert shock at the apparent possiblity of disrupting immutable contemporary social isolation rules and the catacalysmic possibilities this could have on my entire universe.
He said something like he had had a relaxing day, so I asked him if they were still in classes, and he laughed and said,
"I'm not a student."
"Oh, you're not?"
"I'm a librarian."
"Oh, a librarian! I thought I could pick out a grad student in a crowd of office workers."
"Are you a student?" as I'm saying no he says, "I gathered you weren't since you seem to be leaving at more or less the same time every day."
We sit next to each other on the train crowded with game-bound Giants fans and have a conversation that somehow strays into talking about travelling Europe, a subject that makes me sound like an exceptionally boring person.
He was an American Studies grad student who quit for Library Science when he was over it, like a lot of former Literature grad students I've met. I have to admit, the librarian thing is super-hot. It also means he might actually have time to hang out. He is from Kansas, which to me is almost the equivalent of being from another country.
So of course, by the end of the conversation I know quite a bit about how cool he is and all of the obscure literature and music he's into, and he knows very little about me or the somewhat less cool or obscure literature and music I'm into, partly because I am nervous and trying not to make it obvious.
We're slowing down coming up to his station and he says we should have lunch sometime, but then realizes he doesn't have enough time to put my phone number into his handheld device. I hand him my business card(s) (and consequently further blow my nerd cover), and he said it was nice talking to me before leaving.

I decide to take the guy from Saturday up on his invitation to the Giants game, even though he contacted me all of a couple of hours before the game. I thought it might be fun, and he said he was going out of town for 3 weeks the next day, and I'm trying to be spontaneous and cool, and I obviously need to start hanging out with boys in real life rather than sitting at home planning lines for hypothetical conversations.
He's pretty cool and a lot of fun and everything. I do kind of have a feeling that it's a total fluke we ever met or spoke, we have very little in common, and I am probably little more to him than casual female entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
He kind of talked like he thought we might start some kind of regular dating situation, but the guy is going out of town for a few weeks, so I don't feel like I need to feel guilty about trying to date other people.

No comments: