Tuesday, May 30, 2006

tricks of the trade

Today Jeremy told me that he saw my blog linked from Dr. Frank's blog. I know Frank Portman's strategy is to reference everybody who references him, but I was ecstatic to see the first link to my blog that wasn't a direct result of me telling a friend about it, so now I suppose I'm referencing it again - how postmodern.
Since I am not fooling anyone any longer about my nerdiness by working at the Internet and accidentally mentioning the new version of Excel when I'm drunk at barbeques, I started a techie blog, which is for nerds only. I have delusions will make me famous by the time I get finished talking about Office 2007.

Over the last few days in addition to text messages from friends I've been receiving text messages from boys who may or may not be trying to date or hook up with me. As if it isn't hard enough to tell these days with such delicate matters, they have to use the stupidest form of communication available - like an e-mail only less space and not free, with fewer social rules dictating response, and some guys apparently think a text counts as calling, which I'm sorry - it doesn't. Sorry, gentlemen, we don't appreciate it more just because it costs money - but that is some weird, sick Vox logic I've heard employed. I use text messaging only when necessary, polite or dating-related, and even then my maximum is one back and forth exchange before I decide whether or not to ignore it or use my Verizon minutes. In any case the possibly dating-related texts probably only warrant an e-mail or IM response, because I heard guys like it when girls play games, and that means always giving less than you receive. I obviously have a lot to learn in that arena because I hate games and I am overtly maternal and an excellent cook and caretaker. But since I'm doing this whole serious about dating thing I guess I will try to pick up the tricks of the discourse.

No comments: